Pace of Play Policy
The Pace of Play Policy (POP) is a means to allow all competitors to enjoy their round while keeping the NHWGA in the good graces of all hosting clubs. This policy is not intended to penalize a group or a competitor but is designed to help ensure the enjoyment of the game for all.
The lead group should play within a time established by the Committee (this will vary by course and format). All others will be held to that time plus 15 minutes. Check the registration table at every tournament for the Pace of Play and any local rules.
Players must finish within 10 minutes of the group ahead of them or their allotted time. As long as a group finishes within 10 minutes of the group ahead of them, and have met all of the requirements of the POP Policy Guidelines, they will not be timed-disqualified (TDQ’d). There will be clocks on the 1st and 18th hole at every tournament.
Prior to Play
- Players should be at the 1st tee 15 minutes prior to their tee time to receive information from the starter.
- Start time is when the first person tees off, and the finish time is when the flagstick is in the hole on the 18th green.
- Note your group’s start time on the official scorecard.
It is up to each competitor to be aware of their start and finish time. It is also suggested that competitors note the finish time of the group ahead of them.
- One member must keep the official scorecard for the group; only one scorecard per group will be accepted.
- The first group should play within the time established by the POP committee. Following groups must keep pace with the group ahead of them.
- When a player is unsure how to proceed they should play two balls according to Rule 3-3a.
- Scorecards must contain legible first initial and last name of all four players and scores for each hole.
Completion of the Round
- Start and finish times should be noted on the scorecard.
- The scorecard must be attested and signed by all members of the group before being turned in at the scorer’s table.
- Scorecards must be turned in immediately after completion of the round. As a courtesy, if you are having an issue let the scorer know. Do not put your clubs away and then turn in your score card.
Post Tournament Guidelines
Tournament results are sent to both the tournament and rules chairs, who determine if any POP penalties have occurred.
- The first time a group finishes out of position they will receive a warning notification that they finished outside of the POP.
- The second time a group or competitor finishes outside of the POP they will be moved to the last tee time slot of their next tournament. Player(s) will receive notification informing them of such.
- The third time a group or competitor finishes out of position they will receive a one (1) stroke penalty for that tournament. Players will also be limited to playing in the last time slot for all future Tuesday tournaments. Player(s) will receive notification informing them of such.
Individual appeals must be made within 48 hours after the scores are posted on the website. Appeals will only be allowed for medical, mechanical, weather, incident on the 18th hole, or individual circumstance(s). No appeal(s) will be allowed after the designated time. Individuals who do not sign the scorecard lose their right to appeal.
Please contact NHWGA at email@example.com or call 603-356-9051 and give your name, phone number or email address and the tournament you are appealing. A member of the committee will contact you.